California Scrub Jay

I liked this for the nice background and having the Jay on an isolated plant.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 468 mm. 1/640 at f6.3, +2/3 EV; ISO 500.

3 Likes

Really beautiful image, Allen! I too love the soft green background. It really makes the bold blue of the Jay stand out. Love the details of the feathers. These guys aren’t always the easiest to photograph, they are always on the move! I love them, they have such funny personalities. Great capture, Allen!

1 Like

I agree that the background is superb. But you also have excellent detail, color, and pose.

1 Like

Agree with the above. Would like to see a tad more space along the bottom, ideally - but it’s a super portrait.

1 Like

I agree with Mike that a bit more space on the bottom would be nice, if you have it. It would probably be a tough one for adding canvas. Beautiful portrait of the Scrub Jay.

1 Like

Nice portrait Allen. Fine details and background. I’m okay with the composition as is. Nice one!

1 Like

I really like this one for the same reasons you do. Fine shot.

1 Like

Handsome specimen and a nice BG that picks up the color of the leaves. Having the top leaves OOF isn’t ideal but you would never have enough DOF in a closeup like this to render them sharp. You have good sharpness on most of them and the OOF group is not very conspicuous. The attention goes to the bird, where it should.

1 Like

Hi Allen
I never new Jays could look this good, one could almost get to like the Blue Jay family. The perch and soft green background give this Jay punch. The eye contact, feather detail and coloring look great.
Peter

1 Like

He is beautiful, and you captured him so well, Allen.

1 Like