California Scrub Jay. and re-post

Not my best California Scrub Jay, but I liked the setting with the buds framing the jay and the yellow background. It seems that I have enough decent photos of various species that I find myself now looking for pleasing environments to photograph them in. ( Not that I 'd turn down a nice bird photo in any setting.)

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f6.3, 2/3 EV; ISO 800

This is a pleasing frame. I too like the environment. It is really nice to work on capturing images that tell more of a story than a “documentary” image of the species.

1 Like

Like Keith, I am really enjoying the environment that you’ve captured with the gorgeous bird. I can see why you like it. The yellow and blue combination is wonderful. The Jay has given a lovely pose and the perch is perfect.

As much as I like the image, I feel the highlights in the background are a little distracting. Would you consider masking and reducing the Clarity and Texture? Maybe a bit of Highlight reduction on the bird’s right side and lifting the Shadow on his face?

Thanks, @glennie for your suggestion. Here’s a re-post with your suggestions. I think it helps.

2 Likes

A subtle change indeed. I like it.

1 Like

Lovely pose and setting, with the perfect choice of where (and when) to sit in the lovely tree! (A maple?) The ones I encounter are pretty camera-shy.

1 Like

That’s been my experience as well, so I was surprised this one didn’t fly off the minute I got in view. It was taken at a local wetlands park and I think the birds have gotten use to humans.

I liked the original but the subtle changes in the re- post make for a better look at the Jay and the blossoms

1 Like