"Calm Over Bridgewalk"

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments valued

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments valued

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

1/250 sec at f/16, 41mm, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I’m enjoying the mood here Doug. It’s fine as is but I’d consider a black and white version.

A black and white version might allow you to get darker darks and give the image more contrast. But I think that the image works as is

Agree with @Nathan_Klein…when I saw this, I really thought it’d be better as a B&W. Not sure how I’d handle contrast - the fog and mood do well with less than more. I’d even be tempted to dodge the shadows of the central boat just a bit - leaving it a tiny bit darker than the others (it is closer). The sun is relatively closer to the top margin than the bottom of the reflected mast - so I might crop from the bottom ever so much as well. Great image - really tranquil scene. Hope it was as quiet as it looks! Nice moment captured.

Lovely image Doug! Love the mood. Funny though, when i first saw the image I didn’t see the sun until I scrolled down. I really liked it without the sun but it doesn’t hurt it either. I agree with the others, a BW would be really nice but BW is my favorite so I may be biased. Excellent work.

While B/W would probably be very nice, I prefer this as presented. Just enough color peeking through the fog. I also like including the sun.

Same opinion as @Jim_Gavin.
And I think that increasing the contrast would do no good for the foggy mood.
Processing these kind of images is often a matter of personal taste.

Doug,

Fantastic mood and atmosphere here. I can just hear the quietness in the harbour - well, all except for a distant fog horn.

Love as presented. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Have you considered a crop that doesn’t include the whole sun but just a sliver at its very bottom?

I guess the decision to make is always how low to the ground should the shot be taken from. Do you want the reflection to be the same size as the mast or smaller?