Can't get close to you

The Pine River just above Meyers Falls - a tough composition since I was under a tree with my back jammed against a big rock ledge (the one with these trees on it), but that bendy tree called to me so I had to try. This will be amazing once the color really comes up. Luckily I’m heading back to it today and hopefully yesterday’s wind didn’t strip the trees bare! Might not visit this exact area, but all of the Pine looks basically like this since there is no development on pretty much all of it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Too much open sky in the bg? It is what it is so I worked the scene with it instead of trying to fight it. Also the shadows and contrast drove me crazy in this image. Give me your thoughts about that and colors as well.

Technical Details

Tripod & CPL

Lr to fight with contrast, colors and white balance. I think I have them at pleasing levels now. Worked the Calibration and HSL panels, masks and other local adjustments. Some lens correction & transform. Ps to fill in some sky with canopy.

1 Like

It is a beautiful scene, Kris. My only thought/suggestion would be to not “fight” it . . . just enjoy it! It looks like a lovely place to spend the day.

Hi Kris. I wouldn’t change anything. I like the balance of the curving tree and the river entering the image BR. Also, the hint of sky through the trees while a little bright doesn’t really detract from the image.

Very well-framed and beautiful find and composition of it. Title gives a hint of Tantalus; well-chosen. I know that fluffy running water can be iconic, but you here have given just the shutter speed to make a pleasant blurry motion feel without going overboard. I can add nothing to recommend to improve this.

Kris, I agree with @Jon_Norris, this is terrific and wouldn’t change a thing. Can’t wait to see it with more fall colors.

I love this image. The composition and the tones are perfect. The exposure was spot on. Maybe you can try the radial filter in LR over the river and invert it and bring down the exposure a tad. Well done.

You shoot a lot of landscape images with converging perspective lines, some of which are S lines. But this one has that wonderful arch which further emphasizes the 3 dimensionality by creating a visual tunnel. I would by all means not remove nor darken the sky. A wall of green branches back there would defeat the purpose of this image

Now that I look how effectively the arch adds to this image I wonder about using foreground rocks and leaves in such an image. If the perspective lines are there to show distance is it helpful to add a foreground to show distance. Does such a foreground diminish the effect of the perspective lines and vice versa. I suspect it does.

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Jon_Norris, @kerry4, @David_Bostock, @Mozzam_Hosein & @Igor_Doncov for taking the time to review and leave your thoughts. I appreciate it. You know how if you look at one of your photos too long you can’t really see it anymore. I try to get processing right, but sometimes over-processing creeps in.

Lately my preference for a more agitated water look even though I did some 2-10 second exposures today. Mostly to experiment, contrast with rocks and because it became rather bright. Anyway… in terms of foreground elements, Igor, I did look for some as I quite like an anchor, but there weren’t any and I forgot to wear my tall boots so couldn’t get into the flow without getting pretty wet.

Alas, I didn’t get to this spot again, nor did I do any flat water work, it was all cascades, but I hope I have a few worthies.

Color is peak in the county north right now so I might go a-wandering tomorrow and aim my camera at trees.

1 Like

I think tjhis is one of the better compositions I’ve seen posted here of late! This image does such an excellent job of leading the eye into and through the scene! The amount of sky doesn’t really bother me at all, though I would be tempted to blend in a slightly darker exposure of that area. Really though, this seems really faithful to the moment.

As I stated, I think you’re better off without foreground elements for this image.

Yup I didn’t clarify that and I think you’re right with some shots. This could be one.

The tree provides a great focal point in this picture. I can see why you were attracted to it. I think you’ve dealt with the shadows and contrast well. I do find that I’m drawn to the sky in the background. If more of those dead branches had leaves on them, it would break it up enough, but nature doesn’t always cooperate. Perhaps if that dead branch in the sky section were a little darker, it would break-up the sky a bit…?

Kris,

Wonderful image! As has been mentioned, the composition is stellar with the main tree hovering over the stream in perfect form, taking center stage. Love this.

I would also agree with others that in this case, the patch of sky doesn’t bother me; in fact as Igor points out I think it’s germain to the success of the composition.

Beautifully processed. The only thing I can say for improvement? Get back out there during the next stage of color! And yes, no reason why you can’t shoot the same scene twice! IMO, this would be a great scene to repeat in the 4 seasons and/or any other lighting conditions, time year, day etc. Would make for a fun project over time.

Great work!

Lon

Thanks @Warren_Paulson & @Lon_Overacker - I love a bendy tree, that’s for sure.

After spending a few hours a few miles away on this river, all I can say is I wish it was closer. About 5 hours in the car total to get there and back. And this part of the river is not easily accessible in winter because they close the gate on the road because it’s not plowed and they don’t want people getting stuck down there. No cell service either so once you’re stuck, you’re hoofing it. If I don’t get back there tomorrow, the color will be basically gone and so I’ll have to see.