Canyon Spirits

Antelope Canyon
@davidenosphotography

Canon 5DS, ISO 400, 24mm, f/4.0, 1/80 sec

Antelope%20041218

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

welcome to npn @David_Enos!
fantastic shot to start with! i love the shapes and warm glow!

my only nit: the sunlit part of the sand on the bottom is quite dark and looks unnatural. did you burn it intentionally?

cheers,
joerg

Good to see you here David! What a fantastic image, I would agree with Joerg about the sand. Personally I would crop it out, I also cloned out some little bits of the lit sand:

1 Like

Beautiful shot… There’s a ton of detail and I really enjoy the transition from the lights to darks. One extremely minor comment, the shadow from the piece of wood on the right catches my eye.

This is really a great pic!

Welcome! Your first post is a splendid classic and a beautiful image. I especially like the play of dark and light with the very large dynamic range.

Another stunning shot on an evening where they are appearing thick and fast. I like David’s crop very much, not that there is much wrong with yours either.

David,
Welcome to NPN! This is a beautiful presentation of Antelope Canyon! It has been a few years since Ridgway but it’s nice to have you join us here! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome to NPN David, this is a great first post. Having cut my teeth on 35mm slide film, I actually am hardwired to prefer the 3:2 aspect ratio in most cases. And I like your use of the 3:2 format here, I think including the light hitting the canyon floor adds a lot to this composiiton. I think your processing looks very good in terms of light and shadow, with my only nit being that I think you could slightly dodge the light hitting the floor of the canyon. Otherwise this is a very pleasing image, nicely done.

David, welcome to NPN. This is a great look at Antelope Canyon. I love those “sun sprites”, they’re special. I think the streak of light on the sand at the bottom adds an interesting bit, although it does look dark. David’s crop with the light at the bottom also looks good. The overall glow throughout is lovely.

Thank you - appreciate the comments from everyone here.

Thanks David - “Balloon Man” appreciates the comments.

2 Likes

Thanks Joerg - to be honest I don’t remember but I agree it looks that way to me now also. I’ll revisit it based on all these comments.