Carolina Wren

A pair of Carolina Wrens built a nest inside an old smoker of mine on my deck. I caught this one sitting on the smoker.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom @ 300mm, f/5.6, 1/180, ISO 1250, Ev +0.5 Step

1 Like

Love the pose and the wren attitude. The background is pretty pleasing, except for the vertical rods. I am not personally a fan of man-made objects in bird photos, but that’s a personal preference. Also, the image quality could be better. I’d imagine it’s a combination of high-ish ISO, underexposure, and a big crop.

Looks like you had some potential with this shot. The bird is in a cool position/pose, I like the light on the bird and the darker background. That all works together.

The problem is the image quality just isn’t there. I don’t know what the raw capture looked like, but this has all the tell tale signs of a large crop, a poor exposure that was massaged in post processing and noise reduction that has eliminated the feather detail in most of the plumage. If you can give us more info and what the scene was, it would help us provide more assistance for the next opportunity.

Hmmm…I don’t recall I did a lot of processing to this photo. The crop was 3850x2750, and I don’t see that I used any noise suppression software. The conditions were very low light save that one beam that was on the front of the bird, and I did overexpose it a half step, and bumped up the ISO.