Carolina Wren

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5ds-r , f-8, iso 640 at 1/200sec. shot from small tent with tripod and remote shutter release to reduce camera shake.

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Very nice photo. I like the composition, colors, bird is sharp around the eye and well exposed. The only think I don’t quite understand is there looks like some pixilation in the bg.

Thanks David, appreciate your post. The banding/posterization is probably due to my cropping process. Many times the “crop” is close to one third the original. That is a photo of 6480x4320 down to 6.43 x 7 inches or 10m. I went back to look at my original photo before posting it and found much less of the above problem . My problem may also occur because of .jpeg artifacts when sharing or posting. Any way, thanks so much for your helpful post. I will continue working on the banding etc. After I made this post I’ve discovered my original picture was in “8 bits” not my usual 16 bits.
Wayne

I like the composition and eye contact, John. To my eye, the bird looks a bit brighter than I would expect.

Re-Post to darken slightly. Thanks Dennis, your suggestion is well received.
Wayne

Wonderful shot and pose, lovely perch and BG! I wonder if whites could be pulled down a little in raw conversion, but that’s a small nit. The banding in the BG is undoubtedly due to it being in 8 bits. It’s a lovely image – worth going back to the raw file and redo it in 16 bits with a little reduction of whites.

Yes the second posting is better. From a compositional standpoint, I might move the top of the frame down an inch or so. I’m not a fan of centered images.