Castle Keep - B&W

Although this area rarely receives snow the temperatures during the winter can easily be in the 20 degree range. Trekking across the desert soil in the low temps has a loud crunching sound as the frozen dew breaks way under foot.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

As with most images in this area it is mostly about the rock formations and the surrounding support subjects.

Technical Details

Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 150mm - Velvia 50

Good one, Paul. Great the way the j tree os offset against the sky. The B&W treatment works for me, too. It kind of has an mG+ look to it.

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman Harley, as always thank you for the review and comment. Can’t get any better than an MG look… :cowboy_hat_face:

Paul, the mix of drama in the sky, the looming pile of rocks and the isolated J-tree is very dramatic and chilly. I’m waiting for some evil critter to pop up from behind the rockpile. I really like how you’ve processed this view.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver I appreciate the review & comments as always. So far, although this is fairly remote in the park, the only critters have been either hawks, owls, or crows that nest in these rock fortresses. In fact, during the spring the trailhead for this area is blocked off for nesting activities. So, being out here in the winter is the best time overall.