Castle Mountain

Hello all! First post here!

This is an image of Castle Mountain in Banff, Alberta during an early snow. Most of the images I’m familiar with here are wider angle, so I wanted to try a telephoto scene, which felt nice as I stepped behind this grouping of snowy trees.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Open - I like the atmosphere of the image with the fog but there is a lot of white, struggled to bring out some definition and thankful for the little break in the sky. Learning and working on luminosity masking dodge/burn techniques. Color balance.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Subject vs Framing - Are you drawn to the subject or do they compete. Adjustment recommended or suggestions for improvement here (such as amount of detail/sharpening in areas/lightening or darkening areas).
Open to compositional critique as well however do not practically have much room for adjustment beyond the frame or to adjust angle of shot.

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Jennifer and welcome aboard! I am really enjoying your first post, it is a beautiful and grand scene. The framing works well for me in this image, a nice window out to the mountains. The fog gives is a real nice mood, too. You could experiment with cropping out a bit of the sky, but it works well for me as presented. I am looking forward to seeing more of your images.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Jennifer. This is nice first post. The large conifers framing the scene work well here to bring one’s eye to the valley and mountains. The processing looks really good to me. As Harley mentioned, you might experiment with crops of the sky.

We look forward to seeing more of your work and your participation at NPN!
-P

1 Like

I like the framing with the trees Jennifer. I also like Harley’s suggestion of a slight crop of the sky maybe to eliminate the sky between the upper branches of the left tree. The low lying fog adds a lot of mood to the scene.

1 Like

Thank you Harley! Much appreciated and for the slight crop suggestion as well! Think that would be a good modification.

OK great, thanks Eva! Good suggestion the slight crop and to eliminate the small area of distraction with the branch. Appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks so much Preston! Really glad to have joined and look forward to learning much. Sounds like a consensus with the slight crop and that makes complete sense. Easy adjustment as well. Appreciate all the feedback!

Oh, and welcome aboard!

1 Like

Thanks! Glad to be here!

This is a very nice first post. It’s a beautiful scene and well processed, and I like the framing of the mountains with the trees.

Jennifer, welcome to NPN and congratulations on achieving a very unique view of Castle Mountain. I’m glad you decided to move beyond the tripod holes at the shore of the river and went for a telephoto instead. Yeah, luminosity masks can have a steep learning curve, but your processing here looks pretty good. i agree wit the others that a small crop along the top would help a bit.

Welcome to NPN Jennifer and what a beautiful first Landscape first image post. The framing with the trees is obvious and well seen. I love the fog enshrouding the rock formation and the dusting of snow everywhere is the icing on the cake.

A few comments about cropping from the top? I’ll be a contrarian so there’s no consensus, but I think the spacing up top is just right. In fact, I like the hint of blue in the upper left; to me the blue peeking thru the clouds is a small, but wonderful element to the scene. Almost wish there was more blue sky. But that’s ok, it’s quite lovely as captured and processed. No nits or suggestions.

Lon