Two Jack Lake

Hi, Image was taken in early Nov. on Two Jack Lake in Banff, Canada. Sony a7iii, sony 100-400 f4 lens, F11, 1 sec., 141mm, ISO 100. I’d enjoy opinions on why this image has proven to be better liked than I thought it would be? It’s OK, but didn’t jump out for me like some do. Nice morning, just after sunrise, wasn’t sure what to do with the fog coming across the lake. I tend to like the 1x1 aspect ratio. Feels balanced to me, neither height or width emphasized. I do think that aspect rations are ignored when it comes to creatively composing a photo and I like to include just facts mam! Keep it simple. Thanks. Jeff

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Jeff: I find this image very relaxing to view. The mood and cool color palette really work with the fog. You mentioned the 1x1 aspect. It works OK for this, but if it were mine, I’d choose a crop that removes about half of the distant mountain background on the top of the image. I played with it and that made the image even better for me.

Why was this well liked? Probably due to the mist. Even here images with fog or mist elicit oohs and aahs. I think it has to do with the romantic vision of what is nature.

The only reason I would suggest a very small crop off the mountains is the urc.

1 Like

I would assume this image was well liked because first, the fog creates a strong mood, and second it tells a story about winter in the wilderness. The story about winter is strongly told by the snow on the trees, and your choice to use a very cool white balance. Not sure what to do about fog? Just embrace it, fog is Mother Nature’s Orton Effect, it softens everything, and creates a very pleasing mood.

I agree with the others about a crop from the top. @Igor_Doncov suggestion to crop just enough to eliminate the snow patch in the URC makes a lot of sense to me. I could also see a crop or clone to eliminate the very long and dark tree reflection in the lower left. It breaks up the otherwise uniform reflection of the trees, and pulls my eye away from the center of the image.

1 Like

Nice image. If it were mine I would warm it up a bit (reduce the blue/cyan cast).

Thanks folks. Seems the crop is the big deal, that white in the upper right corner maybe a bit distracting? Took my awhile to figure out URC! It was suggested to warm it up and I already had warmed it up so I left it alone. I guess you are right, there’s a thing about fog!

Jeff, this is lovely. I like it for a couple reasons, first being the strong blue color palette. I also like the layering of textures, the mist and the reflection. This is certainly an example of when to break the “rule” about putting the horizon in the middle of the image. To me, it needs to be exactly where it is for the image to work.

Sweet! You nailed it with the repost, Jeff. The blue tones are wonderful throughout the image. Everything works beautifully from front to back in this lovely scene. IMO the fog sets the table for the rest of the image. Great work.

Jeff, the rework looks great, it takes an already great image up another notch.

Good call to leave the blue where it is, its one of the best parts oft this image.

BTW, I’ll gladly take fog over a colorful sunrise/sunset any time :wink:

I would be surprised if it wasn’t well liked! It has a wonderfully dreamy appearance, and the layering effect is perfect. I much prefer the crop; I was surprised how much my eye was dragged there. I also agree with leaving it blue; I think that really brings out the “cold.”

Jeff,

Love this! The fog of course is the anchor, but that reflection is killer and the inclusion of the bg mountain wall really completes the image.

I would only touch a crop to deal with that URC as you’ve already addressed. I think additionally, perhaps some slight dodging of that remaining darker rock (both light and darker areas can be eye magnets - get rid of one and the darker one appears…) Minor consideration, but a tweak that could make a bit of a difference.

The color balance, blue/cyan is also a bit of personal taste and choice. On factor for me would be the color of the snow; since it’s basically more white than blue and it seems that most of the blue is in the darker midtones, that the amount of blue/cyan on balance works pretty well for me. I would think the fog bank would be fairly neutral as well, if not leaning towards blue, but no real strong cast.

The 1:1 ratio works quite well here too.

This one is somewhat unique and most certainly refreshing. Well done!

Lon

I also agree that the mountains should be cropped. Jeff, to me the mountains compete with the trees, fog, and water by introducing another main element in the image. Cropping at least half or more from the top would simplify it and focus the image more on its primary elements.