Feeling good about this

While heading home from a prominent photography location, the backlight of those frozen meadows, trees and such made me stop the car a bit further and take this image. Unfortunately we were bound to go back while I was wishing to spend more time.

All the best from Vancouver Island

Specific Feedback Requested

This is one of my favorite photos I ever took and I’d love to hear your critique. No mercy please :wink:

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

A6400/ 70-300 GM
ISO 100
83mm
f11
1/10 Sec

I can understand why this is one of your favorite images TJay. The mood is excellent and the understated colors blend well with the gray soggy feeling. Simplicity makes the image successful. I feel a slight chill as I keeping looking at the image.

I can see why you stopped and why you’d want to linger. I’ll put my fog shot up shortly. While I like the scene and your processing, I find the crop a bit tight. All the major elements are nearly at the edges and I want to see some space there. I don’t know why tight crops like this make me uneasy, but they do. This is obviously something you took time with so it isn’t a ‘snapshot’ in the sense that there was no prep or intention, but it feels that way. If you have a slightly wider view that would be great, or if you aren’t against such practices, you might be able to add canvas on the sides in Photoshop. Also, the horizon doesn’t look straight. Well you said be merciless! Seriously, it has the bones of a great image and I wouldn’t do much to it except what I mentioned. Maybe others will chime in as well.

1 Like

I think this is wonderful! The fog has given wonderful atmospheric perspective to show off the very interesting shapes of the trees and moss. It feels level to me, as the delicate areas of white on the water are level. A receding bank such as this can cause the loss of out usual visual clues.

I agree with @Kris_Smith about wishing for more room on the right and left, but that’s a minor criticism for me of an otherwise very strong image.

Torsten,
I can see why you stopped and decided to capture this scene as the fog has created a wonderful mood. I can also see why it is one of your favorites. I agree with @Kris_Smith about the image being a little tight on the right and left sides. It would be easy enough to add a little canvas on those two sides to alleviate the feeling. Anyway very nicely done.

Wow! Really great shot. The mood here is excellent. I’ve photographed locations like this, and I know what they feel like. You have captured it well. The reflection is wonderful. And don’t you just love fog in landscapes? How can one resist? I agree with the others that the crop is a bit off, but perhaps the overall scene didn’t allow for anything more. Regardless, this is a portfolio image.