Turret Ridge & Dunsinane Mountain - San Juan Mountains

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am interested in all forms of critique, technical and creative, and recommendations that can make this a stronger image. This was captured a couple of years ago on a trip with three close friends and represents the outstanding experience all of us shared. Don’t be bashful or pull any punches with your observations and recommendations.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

See comments above

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Camera - Nikon D810, Lens - Nikkor 24-70 f2.8, focal length 52mm, 1/200th sec, f8.0, ISO 200.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Welcome to NPN Doug. This is a great first post. I can see how this image might represent the culmination of a great trip. There is wonderful luminosity to the image and the colors are great as well. Two things stick out for me: 1) There is a crunchiness to the image that suggests that it was over sharpened. 2) The trees on the left feel crowded and that hurting the overall composition. They’re crowded from the left and from the bottom.

Oh, and something less noticeable - there is some magenta color cast in the tree trunks of the lower yellow trees on the right. Easily fixed.

Hey Doug, did you change something from the image you sent me? Like Igor said this is really crunchy, either too much sharpening or clarity/structure that is really taking away from a beautiful image.

H Doug,
I really like the composition. The magenta cast mentioned by Igor is worth looking at. I feel like the sky is just a tish more purple than it would be in “real life,” but that’s a matter of artistic license, and it works with the yellow, in my opinion. I noticed the crunchiness too, right off.

If you exported it from LR or something more than once with a sharpening preset, that might have over-sharpened it.

ML

First to Igor and Marylynne, thank you for your observations and suggestions. They are much appreciated. The observation about the trees is spot on - I noticed the lack of space on the bottom, went back to the original and saw that I was too zealous with the cropping tool. I hadn’t noticed the magenta cast on the trees and will try to take care of that on the original. And, thanks David. The image I posted was not the one I sent you earlier. In my haste to get this posted before a big family event I uploaded a version that I had planned to discard. It’s trite but true; “haste makes waste” and I just wasted all your time because I was in a hurry. I think I’ll start from scratch and incorporate your suggestions and perhaps others.

1 Like

Aside from the observations that others have made I like the overall composition and you had some nice conditions to work with. Welcome to NPN!

Doug,

I wanted to welcome you to NPN! This is a grand first post and I will look forward to the re-vamped image. I won’t belabor the sharpening, since you’ve already gone over this. The space below and to the left of the aspens would be my main minor point.

The setup and framing here I love. I think the juxtaposition of the small, open stand of aspen here against the grand autumn landscape is just wonderful. Those jagged peaks remind me of the Minaret’s.

Looking forward to an updated version. Welcome aboard and we look forward to more images and your participation!

Lon

Thanks, Lon. I appreciate the welcome and critique. Although it’s a “football weekend” , I"ll try to work on re-presenting the image incorporating everyone’s observations.

Doug