Castle Point Lighthouse

Castlepoint Lighthouse, South Island New Zealand

I had somebody request a framed image of a very old shot of mine taken with a fabulous old Contax ST complete with a Carl Zeiss 28-85mm zoom lens. The image was shot on 35mm Fuji Velvia 50 film which I had with me in 1996 when I was travelling. Having dug through my old files I located it and re-scanned using my Nikon 9000ED scanner, the original having been scanned with my old Epson Flatbed. It’s amazing to see this long forgotten transparency again on a lightbox with its gorgeous vibrancy still so apparent and after a dust down and gentle clean the colours still stir the soul.

Contax ST, Carl Zeiss 28-85mm zoom, 0.3ND Hard Grad, f/16 at 1/2 second, Fuji velvia 50.i

2 Likes

Wow! Ian this is eye-popping gorgeous. Even more impressive is learning the anecdotal history of a 35mm Velvia slide from long ago. I can see this stirring your soul from here on after…

The warmth is just exquisite here and kudos for keeping that warm light in check on the lighthouse. Amazingly beautiful.

Now, if I had my druthers in 1996, I’d wish for more breathing room in front of the lighthouse and perhaps more in general. But as presented the connection of warm light between the lighthouse and the far rock is keen and makes for a complete composition. Wow.

Lon

Ian, This is a beautifully composed scene! The colors and light are treated wonderfully as well. My only tiny nit is I would also like a touch more room around the lighthouse, but that would certainly not prevent me from hanging this one on a wall!
Well done!

I like the warm light that bathes the scene in color. I like the point / counterpoint relationship between the lighthouse and the rock formation in the upper right hand corner and also the diagonal line formed along the shoreline between these two elements.

Ditto. That was my observation as well. The eye doesn’t jump from one to the other but walks along the shoreline, back and forth. I like the amount of space around the lighthouse as is.

This is wonderfully detailed and the light and color are gorgeous. I agree that the eye wanders from the lighthouse along the shore to the hill on the right. The bay at low tide also adds a nice dimension.

Beautifully done!
-P

This does have the Velvia look to it and I mean that in a good way, Ian. The light in this coastal scene is lovely and I like the gradations of color in the sky as they go from cool to warm. Beautiful image.

1 Like

Lovely. Nothing like velvia with it’s contrasty look. I’m surprised you got that much detail out of the shadows. Excellent work.
:vulcan_salute:

Simply beautiful. The composition and processing are both very well handled. The light here is gorgeous, and your processing of the warm/cool color contrast is masterful. This is another one of those images that simply deserves to be enjoyed without overthinking nit picks of composition or processing.

I can’t add anything to the discussion. Great photo, good points.