Cathedral Gorge

What makes this image expressive?

I felt like this vertical view of the canyon was the inspiration for the name of the Nevada State Park: Cathedral Gorge.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome

3 Likes

Wow, you bet. It truly does feel like one of the big European cathedrals from the 13th century. The image is really quite mind-bending. We know we’re looking up, but I also get a strong sense of looking down. It is a curious thing this week reviewing so many images, but who I am sat here in my office in Scotland has quite a strong influence on how I read, or what I read into an image.

Expressive photography to me is about being somewhere and feeling compelled to make an image. Be it because of awe, majesty, curiosity, inquisitiveness or because of a feeling we get when we are there.

You haven’t expressed what you felt, or what you are trying to say. This isn’t unusual. The vaulted cathedral is what it is. I know how I feel when I walk into these giant buildings in places like Paris or Munich. There is a quiet stillness that takes your breath away. That has a feeling.

Sometimes writing down these feelings can make us feel vulnerable, weak, or too readily judged. I’d try it if I were you, even in private. Write a short essay on what this images is saying to you, then throw the notes away. What you will find it you create a pathway between seeing and feeling and that is the surest way I know to make more expressive images.

Beautiful place, must be amazing to witness.