Cattle Egret Portrait

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Some shots are tougher to get than others. I actually had to sit up from the chaise lounge, turn around, and shoot this egret that landed in the bushes behind me.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-400 with 1.4 TC at 599 mm; 1/1000 at f9, -2EV; ISO 125

1 Like

It’s a tough life, but someone has to endure it! A fine portrait, Allen. I know I was astounded when I encountered one of these on Oahu several years ago. I don’t know if they found their way there on their own as they did to get here or if someone introduced them, but it was cool to see.

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice textures on the bird and I love the crystal clear eye. A well done portrait with a nice backdrop.

1 Like

I read that they were introduced to control pests, but I think they’re now a pest of their own.

I hope that your beverage was not spilled during the egret encounter. Details and whites look good and the partially extended nictitating membrane gives some additional character to the egret portrait. Well done…Jim

1 Like

This is a really nice image Allen. It pays to have your gear ready to go at the drop of a bird into the backyard. This has such nice detail, especially in the whites, and the eye. Good offsetting BG to show the egret off properly.

1 Like