Cattle Egret carrying nesting material

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nest building was going on in full force last week at the Louisiana rookery we visited. Here is a cattle egret bringing back a leafy branch for his nest. My understanding is that the males do the stick collecting while the females arrange the nest in the tree.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s, hand held

Sounds like a good partnership that chore split. I like the varied background you caught as the bird headed home. And the two wing positions - excellent. I never knew they had red eyes. So many birds do, but I’m not aware of any mammals or reptiles with such. Nature is endlessly interesting. Sharpness looks great - excellent tracking and panning. The first might be a touch cyan, but it’s slight if anything. Well executed!

Allen, these images tell a story of the work involved to raise a family. Thank you for also sharing that both are involved in the nest building. I like that both images show the wings in different positions as well as one over the water and the other over the edge where there is growth. Nicely done.

Excellent, Allen. I love the huge load the bird is carrying. Excellent detail and wing position. It does look to me as if there’s a bit of blue/cyan cast to the whites in both images.

I love this, Allen!

The limb and leaves has got to be putting a lot of drag on the airflow making him worker harder than normal but he looks to be handling the load quite well.

Both are great captures and both have great BGs, the opposite wing positions, the colors, details, perspective, exposure, all are spot on in my view!
I appreciate the story of them sharing nest building duties.

Wonderful set of images that do quite well at telling his side of the story. :slight_smile:

Hi Allen
The Cattle Egrets look great. The only nit I can see, would be finding more detail on the very white wings. (a very big ask).
Very cool shots.
Peter