Cattle Egret carrying reed

Seen at Jefferson Island rookery, Louisiana.

Canon 7D, 400mm f4 DO IS, monopod
ISO 400, f8, 1/1600s

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’ve seen a lot of Egrets carrying a lot of limbs but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one carrying a limb that big. :slight_smile:

I like the shot. Good wing position not covering the limb and almost giving a feeling of him being weighted down. Great light and exposure.

Hi Allen! It’s got a good bgnd, good lighting, nice sharpness, fine placement in the frame and the bird is doing something interesting! For me, no nits whatsoever. Great timing and image! Jim

Excellent - very tough to get them with something near the correct plane of focus to keep everything sharp.
perfect size limb, in good proportion to the cattle egret, bright breeding colours, perfect framing, and complimentary BG.
LOVE breeding season!
Sandy

Excellent, Allen. That’s one heck of a load for that size of bird. Detail looks very good and I like the background.

Excellent light and cargo. You did a really good job with the detail, exposure, and depth of field. I like it

Beautiful bird in beautiful light. It’s even better that you got the entire limb in the frame! Large version looks really good, but I’d try and blur the background just a touch more.

Talk about a big load! It amazes me how strong these birds are. Never seen one carry something that large. It must have made for some awkward flying, haha. I wouldn’t change anything, I like it just as it is.

Allen, this is excellent timing, and the big haul of nest material is a bonus. Lots of good things going for it. For some reason the upper part of the near wing seems a bit dark, just can’t figure it out, because the light elsewhere, including the bird’s shadow on the far wing seems normal. Just a curious observation on my part. Otherwise this is quite good.

A great shot, Allen. The position of the branch/stalk is ideal, really, given the bird’s pose.

Because I let little distractions bug me (sometimes to the point where I overcrop to eliminate them), I would consider cropping a tick off the top to lose the brownish spot in the upper right. Otherwise, the image looks just about perfect to me.

Max