Cedar Plank Driftwood from the Potomac

Description: Cedar Plank Driftwood

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5dMkIII, f-9 , 1/80sec and ISO 80.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) Not a Composite.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Elwise44

Interesting textures here John. I think I might have cropped a bit off the bottom. What is the background? I can’t decide if it’s water or something else.

Hi Jason, a black background board was used. However, my “black” background seems to turn to a shade of green when the file is transferred. I wanted to highlight the driftwood with the black background…
Wayne

This repost transferred correctly for my intent.

I think I can see a lot of history in this beautiful piece of driftwood, John! Very nice detail and colors. The rework with the actual black background is particularly nice. I do agree with Jason that it could use a little crop on the bottom for better balance. A somewhat panoramic 16:9 format with only the bottom cropped would be quite nice. Nice choice for the challenge and well done!

Thanks Gary, the crop works.
Wayne

Very nice repost with the black BG and the crop, Wayne. I love all the designs in the wood. Nice find and capture.

Thanks Shirley, your comment is appreciated.

The colors and textures really pop when the background is black, really cool!

Wayne, the details in the weathered wood are excellent, especially the pointy parts and the swirls in the center. The black background definitely lets the board stand out, but the reduced starkness in the original post works well also.

Thanks Mark, I was on the lookout to find an old weathered driftwood log of some sorts ended well when this piece turned up. Reminds me in some respects of an older weathered Watermen and the wrinkles of many long work hours in all sorts of weather on the Potomac. This piece of cedar slab gives up many different characters in the wrinkles.