Celestial Foam

The Pit River in northern California is (in)famous for its foam in stretches where the velocity slows. The foam certainly creates lots of possibilities for abstracts.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique welcome. This is flipped vertically (although I don’t think you can tell), to put the “cloud” of foam at the top. Other orientations might work, too. I converted to b&w because the color of the water was meh.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, f/16, 1/200s, ISO 400, hand held.

bonnie_lampley
2 Likes

Definitely has an abstract quality to it, Bonnie. The black & white treatment helps to clarify and simplify the image. The movement and curves give a lot of energy to the scene. Nicely seen and captured.

Very interesting. I had to flip it back to see where you started and thought I preferred it that way. The larger light area provides a nice base and it looks more natural to me. But then for an abstract I have to tip my hat to the idea of flipping it, which makes me look at it much longer! The swirly lines in the LL have a 3D look which is fascinating.

You always are a master at abstract photography, in my opinion! This is really beautiful, it could be one of those save the environment photos, maybe even more so in the color version…

This looks great, Bonnie. I like the angled eye movement from the bottom corner and the “cloud” at the top. Since normal English reading starts top left and works down, I think the big bright cloud at the top fits that style, especially here where there’s nothing to create an up or down feeling. Sometimes I see the “reading style” effect in my abstracts and sometimes not…but it’s often worth trying the flip to see.

Thank you @linda_mellor, @Diane_Miller, @Vanessa_Hill, and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts and appreciation.

Probably - the color of the water was both meh and bilious. Although I’m not sure if the foam is natural or the result of pollutants.

This is true. So why did I always think that one’s eye entered the frame in the lower left? :woman_shrugging: :roll_eyes:

I love this image Bonnie. I have seen areas on the Upper Sac that has patterns of foam like this.

1 Like