Center stage + Reworked edit

Original

Reworked to remove blue cast and dodge the stump

Winter in the valley of Yosemite. I came across this odd looking, broken, shattered but still standing tree all alone in a snowy meadow surrounded by pine trees in the middle of a blizzard. It was as if this tree, all alone, was performing on a stage.

Specific Feedback Requested

I used f/4 to shoot this scene in order to try and isolate the center tree from everything else in the background. Did it work or is there still too much that’s visible beyond the center tree?

Any and all comments and suggestions please.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850, 24-120 lens, 1/1000 sec @ f/4

1 Like

A great Yosemite winter scene beautifully done. Processing looks really good to my eye. Getting really picky, I might dodge the stump on the left a little, but pretty dang minor. Looks great.

I like this very much. I think your DOF is just fine. The subject is obvious and the background characters are providing a great supporting role. Nicely captured.

David, this is a great shot, with the main character being very much a character and the supporting cast faded nicely behind. When you compare the image to the frame, there’s a subtle blue cast that you may or may not want to keep.

Lovely serene image, David. IMHO, the background works really well in putting the emphasis on the main tree. Very nicely done.

Nicely worked David, resulting in a beautiful image. The main subject and supporting cast work well together. A very minor nit- I would have preferred the tree a bit more off center, but then I don’t know what lurked to the left of that pine :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.

Thanks for the comments Jim. Regarding your nit, yep, I would also have loved to move the main tree off center but there was a gap in the trees behind that I wanted the main tree to fit in and if I moved even a little bit in either direction, the main tree would start to clash with the trees behind it. I also didn’t want to crop on either side because I used the two tall trees on the left and the right of the image to frame the scene. Good catch though. In a perfect world! LOL

When you compare the image to the frame, there’s a subtle blue cast that you may or may not want to keep.

[/quote]

Good catch Mark. I actually did that on purpose because I wanted this to be seen as both a color image instead of a black and white and I also wanted it to look a little bit cold. Does it work for you or not? Later today I will post a version with the blue cast removed just to get your opinion and maybe some opinions of others. Thanks for the comment Mark!

@Harley_Goldman , great catch. I will post another version tonight when I get home dodging that stump and also removing the blue cast and basically turning this into a black and white. Thanks for your comments @Keith_Bauer , @linda_mellor . I very much appreciate it.

Very nice. It is challenging for my eyes to see it on a screen but I can well imaging it printed to 24"x36" hanging on a wall about 8 feet away! I think the DOF and the low contrast works well.

I think you handled this shot perfectly. Good idea to start with f4 to isolate the tree. I need to remind myself of that option in landscapes.

I’m late coming in, but I really like this and keep opening the thread to look again. Terrific detail where needed, but enough environment to be immersive.

@JohnSnell , @kelly_cole , @Kris_Smith , Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate it.