Changing Moods

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I thought this was an interesting lesson in how subtle changes can affect the mood of an image. The second image was taken against a gray cold sky and the head feathers appear blown by the wind. The first image was taken by moving a few steps so the background consisted of trees rather than sky and overall appears warmer and more inviting.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts always welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4Tx at 700 mm; 1/1000 second at f 10, +1 EV; ISO 8000/2000 respectively.

Hi Allen, I like both images but as you say the BG in the first image just seems more complimentary. Nice poses of the bird in both images. Overall I think I prefer the first image but both are quite nice.

1 Like

Hi Allen. I like both images, but prefer the second, mainly because of the green in the leaves which feels a little more natural to me. I also prefer the side-on pose of the second-just goes to show that it’s largely a matter of taste.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Taken time to set up a shot from different angle, can serenely improve a photograph. Number one is the winner. Having the light reflect of the leaves and the change in background color really helps highlight the bird.
Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

What a difference that a slightly different perspective can make!
They both look great to me, Allen! But I think I’m drawn more to the warmer perspective/composition, I think the head turn where the bird is more connected to the viewer is also a positive for me.

I do wonder though, if warming up the foliage and the bird in the sky BG image wouldn’t help to make that one more inviting? All of the colors except the sky in that one seem pretty muted where maybe a little more saturation, contrast and brightness might make a positive difference, but, it’s just a thought. :slight_smile:

Either way, they’re both outstanding in my view! :slight_smile:

1 Like

An interesting exercise with two really good pictures. The second looks more stark to me with the white background and cooler hues. Makes me think of how much these little guys tough out despite our thinking them so delicate. The first makes me think that this guy is having a better day - warmer tones do that to our brains I think. And the overall background seems more welcoming and protective rather than out in the elements. Does that make sense? Either way, I think they speak to the life and times of a songbird.

1 Like