Chestnut-backed Chickadee

It’s been too damp in the mornings around here to get very much bath action, but a couple of days ago this Chickadee (they’re nesting in an artificial cavity nearby) decided to take time out for a quick cleanup while I was in the blind.

Specific Feedback Requested

There was quite a bit of cleanup on the background in this image, mostly bright fir needles that really stuck out. Please let me know if you spot any areas that look really contrived.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/320, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7608x5264. Taken at 9:22 AM on May 26th.

2 Likes

Very beautiful image, Dennis! I love Chickadees,and I don’t think I’ve ever seen this kind before.

Background does not look contrived or cleaned up, a neat job on your part. A nice close up of a good looking bird, maybe a little tight along the lower left.

Beautiful capture of this chickadee, Dennis. We don’t have this particular species here. Background looks good to me and the bird is offering a really nice pose.

Dennis, I just love this shot of this cute little guy. The details are just amazing. Your backyard setup is so natural looking. Very nice.

The bird looks very well detailed and the BG lovely. It seems a bit underexposed, though. I agree with @Stephen_Stanton that the bird feels crowded by the bottom and left edges of the frame. Gorgeous setup!

This is pretty great. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a nice photo of this species. Love the setting, IQ is great, etc. No nits from me.