Chestnut-backed Chickadee

Like a lot of birds, when you set up a drip, they like to drink directly from it rather than from the pool below-probably a good survival strategy. While I would have liked eye contact, this is the first drinking image of the year, so I thought I’d post it anyhow. It was a sunny day with lots of shadows, particularly on my artificial backdrop.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC, @ 840 mm, tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1250, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. All I did on this one is crop it to 7552x5224 and add a touch of microcontrast adjustment to the bird to bring out the plumage texture a touch.

1 Like

Chickadee looks very thirsty and grateful, Dennis. Great job with the drip and the photo.

I also like the water drop. You’ve got an interesting pose with really good detail. I might lighten up the bird a half stop.

Good job on getting the behavior shot Dennis. Also an interesting bit of information about drinking from the drip. Nice to get the little bird’s beak right in the water.

Nice behavioral image Dennis - we don’t have this species down south so it is treat seeing this one here. Fine details and exposure and the background seems complimentary to me. A more distinct eye would be nice as you say but this is still a fine shot.

Terrific behavioral shot, Dennis. Dripping or bubbling water always seems to attract more birds. Good details even without eye exposure.

Great story well captured
If I may suggest, open it up a bit around the eye