I Dare You to Do That Again!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one is from a couple of days ago. It’s one of the drips that keeps the pools near my blind up to level. Many of the birds like to drink directly from the drip. I think, from the pristine plumage, that this is one of this year’s Black-capped Chickadees, and hes not too sure of the system yet. They usually seem to have to get a nice big drop in their face before they figure things out.

Specific Feedback

I need to work on the background of this setup. It has a tree behind it with a lighter colored piece of wood that I attached the deer fence to. In this case, the tree didn’t cover the whole background, so there was a very bright strip along the right edge that I painted over. I don’t know if that worked well or not.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, Tripod with gimbal head, f/6.3, 1/1250, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Aside from cleaning up the ugly background, just a little enhancement of the feather texture and a crop to 5201x4170. Taken July 16th at 9:16 AM under cloudy skies.

2 Likes

Dennis, he is really looking intently at where the drip came from like he is trying to figure it out, so probably is a new one. Very nice details and I love the droplets mid air with refractions!

This is such a cute capture, Dennis! I love the intent look on his face. Everything is so sharp, just love it!

Excellent photograph! Makes me laugh and wonder what the chickadee is puzzling through. Great details and background! I love this.

It’s always fun when one can catch a “common” bird in uncommon behavior, and you certainly accomplished that here. The water droplets add a nice touch and, if I dare venture into the realm of anthropomorphism, the chickadee seems to have a puzzled look on its face. I don’t see a problem where you painted in the background.

How interesting to watch the chickadee’s behavior anticipating a drink from the water droplets. I do see the lighter right edge of the image you mentioned not sure how to handle the lighter wood on deer fence? darker wood? Sweet sweet image of the little chickadee Dennis. I like the color palette of this image.