Black Capped Chickadee

We’re having a spell of warm weather here, so I spent a couple of hours this morning cleaning up and getting the water going to my two little pools and drips in front of my blind. I hadn’t even gotten the second one set up before there was a Chestnut-backed Chickadee in the first and when it came back and started picking up nesting material, I had to go get the camera. Unfortunately, it chose not to return before the light got outrageous. This was the first bird to get interested in and drink from one of the drips.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/2500, iso 640, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I played with the color balance on this one as it seemed rather green to begin with. Exposure and curves adjustments to bring the darker parts of the bird up without blowing out the cheek patches. The only sharpening was the default LR sharpening for web on export. Cropped to 8256x6056. Taken this morning at 9:53 under ridiculously sunny skies.

Dennis, this is such a wonderful capture of this little guy. Your setup is so nice, and I’m sure that the birds just love it too. I thought for sure we were going to have a Chickadee (Carolina or Black Capped, not for sure which) nesting in our Bluebird nest box, but just like the Bluebirds, I guess our aggressive Mockingbirds drove them away with a partially made nest. Very disappointing. I sure love this shot (I know I would never have got anything like this, but it would have been fun trying).
The details are superb. :+1: :+1:

Dennis, this little Chickadee looks like he’s saying thanks for getting the drip spout going again. The colors look quite natural, the pose and detail of the little bird are spot on. Very nicely seen and captured.

Yes, this little one seems appreciative of the drip. Love the fine plumage catching that light, some nice browns and light dark tones. Thanks for the set up and processing info too, it’s very helpful .

Hi Dennis, love the open, wet beak here with the bird angled toward us. A fine set up. Nice exposure and sharpness on the bird. Background colors are quite complimentary also.

@Allen_Sparks, @Stephen_Stanton, @Shirley_Freeman, @linda_mellor I forgot to mention that I had to fence in my setup to keep the deer from messing it up and photo bombing me, so the background is camouflage material clothespinned to the fence before I get in the blind and taken down when I leave.

2 Likes

Dennis, the bird, the drip and the surroundings all come together very well. It’s quite the set up and clearly worth the effort.

Color and detail come through quite well in the larger view. Good job on the plumage. This is a fine pose for your perch and drip set up.