Chewed Aspens

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This unassuming image is an aspen grove that’s popular with the locals. I think these chew marks are from elk that use the grove as a local cafe and resting place. The chew marks on the trees reflect years of use. What confused me about the most recent marks on the tree at the far right front is that I couldn’t find teeth marks (I know they have only bottom teeth on the front, except for the canines on top), which will often leave grooves in the trunk. Grooves can be seen in some of the older scars. Can anyone tell me if another animal might also use the same trunks for a different purpose such as marking (antler rubs)? I’m also curious if there is a specific term for these marks?

Specific Feedback

I took this photo mainly as documentation of the heavy use this grove receives, most likely from a resident elk herd. Therefore, the composition, tones and contrast aren’t particularly artistic. Any comments are welcome however.

Technical Details

ISO 250, f9, 1/50, 35+mm

Denise, your “reporting” on the elk use of aspen trees looks good. The mix of fresh, middle aged and ancient scars is good. The new scars all look like Elk munching, antler rubbing would have much more texture around the edges along with places where a single tine gouged the bark.