Chipmunk on Pine

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hiking the Rainbow Falls trail below Mammoth Mountain, I spotted this chipmunk in a young pine tree. These little critters are usually in constant motion, but this one froze on a downward branch and pressed itself against the bark – probably because I was close and there was no obvious escape from that perch. I shot photos until I had more than I needed as the chipmunk stayed still and let me get quite close. It wasn’t until I got back home and reviewed my images that I noticed the chipmunk’s palette perfectly matched the bark, right down to the rust color. I believe I witnessed a wild creature not just staying still to be unseen, but deliberately blending in to its environment.

Specific Feedback

Mainly sharing because this matches the challenge. And because this cooperative creature allowed me to get a very sharp photo. I would like to know if others feel I should have zoomed out to better show the setting.

Technical Details

F 5.6, ISO400, 1/500th, handheld in shade, 300MM, Olympus EM1.

I love the detail here. Nice pose and the BG is nicely subdued. There is enough context for me — I appreciate the closeup detail. Would have been great if it had been completely against the bark but the similarity show well anyway.

Thanks Diane