Chipping Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m fortunate my “daily” walk is in a natural area with varied habitat and I see (or more often hear) quite a few birds. The Chipping Sparrow has been an annual visitor to the area.

A question for either moderator: What is full view? (seen at the bottom next to “download image”.) Is that 100%. If so, what is the maximum enlargement-if more than 100%, I wonder if that is the best one to actually critique. Thoughts appreciated.

Specific Feedback

Any suggestions appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Allen, I love these little sparrows with the rusty cap. Really cute. I like the pose you captured here. Nice upward look with a bit of a head turn. Nice detail on the shadows on the bird even with the light hitting on the back.

As far as sizing images, the View Full Size option seems to just fill the screen with the image. Clicking on the image itself gives a 100% view. For posting, I usually set my height at 1200 pixels and let the width be driven by that. Exception would be a pano crop where I would use 1920 on the long end. For me, I like these dimensions for viewing and critiquing at 100%.

1 Like

I agree with Allen on the size issue, Allen, except that I size mine to 2048 on the long side, which for a vertical is a bit much, but it’s the same requirement I have for our local camera club and I got lazy about it when I did my new export routine for 2024. I think that viewing the image as large as possible can be a drawback. For instance when I click on this image, which looks fine filling the screen, I start to see quite a bit of noise in the bird, that I would then be obligated to comment on, whereas viewed at any reasonable size, it’s invisible. My current screen size is set at 3840x2160 so I don’t fill the screen completely with my “full” resolution images, but that’s fine as well.

By the way, this is a fine image of the Chipping Sparrow. Very nice detail and I like the back lighting, which you handled well. It also gave you a nice head turn and chose a fine perch.

1 Like