Chipping Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I guess I’d categorize this as a combined ID/environmental image. Not a bird I see very often and not one I recall being posted on NPN recently, so I thought I would post this one.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 mm with 1.4 Tx at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10, +2/3 EV; ISO 3200

1 Like

Hi Allen, I love these little sparrows with the rusty cap. Viewing on the ground like this is typical so the environment here goes well with the species. The foreground green oof stalk intersecting the lower body of the bird is noticeable to me but doesn’t distract me all that much. Nice catch.

1 Like

Beautiful shot of the chipping sparrow, Allen. We get these in the summer, but not in large numbers. To my eye, the plumage looks a bit over sharpened.

1 Like

Really nice shot of this sparrow Allen. I like the colors and the detail.

1 Like

Allen, this is a terrific composition. Well done. I see @Dennis_Plank’s comment about the plumage being over sharpened. Might just be the conversion for JPG.

A great image all around.

1 Like

Allen, great job capturing the beauty of this bird. I like the low perspective, color contrast, the shallow depth of field and the comp very much. The vegetation in its beak adds a sense of action as well. The detail is terrific - maybe a tad over-sharp on full size though. Well done!

1 Like

One of my favorite little birds. They’re so lively and are quite vocal. This one has been enjoying some grass seed - love the detail on the beak. A slight scroll crop from above simplifies the image for me.

1 Like