Chipping Sparrow

A flock of about 30 Chipping Sparrows, split into 4 or 5 groups and went about their business working the flowering grasses at a local War Memorial Cemetery. Went to this location to try and see a different sparrow species ( the Clay-colored Sparrow). But I had never seen so many of Chippings sparrows in one area. There was enough maintenance activity and services to keep the birds moving to undisturbed patches. I sat on a bench and waited…after a while they tolerated my presence from about 20 yards. Had no luck with sighting the Clay-colored Sparrow but enjoyed shooting these little ones.

Specific Feedback Requested

Processing in Lr and noise reduction in Topaz Noise Reduction. I de-saturated the green and yellows in the grass in the first image as I thought they might be over powering the colors of the bird. The second one I left alone. What do you think, too much grass color? The flight shot was a surprise, I did not realize I caught the bird in the last of a 5 shot burst when it jumped. It might be on the edge of the f5.6 focal range and I had to add some canvas in Ps as it was just barely in frame. But I really liked getting a look at all the feather groups. Any comments and critique always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 200-500 mm lens at 500mm hand held, ISO 1600, f5.6 @ 1/8000.

Hard to pick a favorite as they are all good. I like pose and sharpness of the first and particularly how it is framed in the setting. The wing position in the flight shot, the open beak and the sharpness makes for a compelling shot. All well done.

All three are gorgeous images, Stephen. I can’t pick a favorite, so I’ll just enjoy all of them.