Cholla backlit

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Is the ocotillo in the background too distracting

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500, Nikkor 80-400 @ 102, ISO 400, 1/400, f5.6

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.!![Cholla|333x500]
1 Like

Skip: Great to have you posting in Flora; it’s been awhile. Really nice subject and light. My biggest suggestion would be to crop the sky away completely to bring all of the attention to the cholla. Nice find and a fine capture.>=))>

Skip, Lovely backlit image. Love the halo of backlit spines. Agree with Bill on cropping the sky out.

As suggested, I’ve attached a revision without the sky.

. An alternative, but not quite sure if its an improvement. The detail you’ve captured is amazing. Nice find.

Hi Skip, lovely light you’ve managed to catch, and great detail.
I think the ocotillo is less distracting than the backlit plant also cropped out in the edit on the left hand border.
I like the sky, distance and landscape in the original, but as a pure plant picture, focusing more on the plant and it’s very close environment I think the tight crop is better.