Cholla flower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Cholla cactus (pronounced CHOY-uh) are blooming at the moment. I have a weakness for them. The beautiful little flowers are surrounded by needle-like spines. The flower is about an inch and a half high and I had to get in close and use my macro lens.

Specific Feedback

It’s busy. Too busy?

Technical Details

ISO 100, 100mm, f/8, 1/10th sec.

1 Like

Oooh this looks so fresh and almost like you’d want to touch it. Almost. Are Cholla the ones whose spines come off very easily and make you itch like crazy? Not being from there I can’t keep track. Anyway… I like the soft hues and variations in texture I wonder if the spines themselves are a little bright - especially around the edges. My attention goes to the brighter areas (as is normal) more than on the flower itself.

What a lovely bloom. We were just down in Anza Borrego, and while there were lots of wildflowers, the cholla weren’t quite ready to bloom yet.

This is a bit busy, especially that larger cactus in the background. Maybe cropping in close? Added some vignette, also.

Kristen, Bonnie, thanks for the comments.

Don: Oh I like this! Our cactus are starting to bloom and I love the contrast between the delicate flowers and the intimidating spikes. I like your original and Bonnie’s crop. Nicely done. >=))>

Thanks, Bill. Blooming cactus are always a treat.

Gorgeous!! My first though t was of some vignette, then I saw @Bonnie_Lampley’s suggested crop and think it is perfect – it highlights the radiating thorns from the bloom. Maybe a touch of saturation would be an idea?

I agree, Diane. I redid it and wound up pretty much duplicating Bonnie’s version, and I upped the saturation a little.