Cactus Flower

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all feedback is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all feedback is appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Taken with a Nikon D5, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8, RRS tripod, Linhof ballhead
Taken at F/20, 1/800 sec, ISO 3200

I find that I prefer to photograph the buds of most plants more than the flowers. For this Prickly Pear, I love the color, lines and textures. The flowers are the supporting cast.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

Cheryl: I just shot some cactus flowers a couple weeks ago so this reminds me to get after them. I’m impressed with the lack of noise at this ISO and a little curious why you chose it, especially since you were on a tripod and this would have been a pretty stationary subject. I like the light on the buds and flowers and the comp. Top notch shot. >=))>

Thanks Bill. we are at elevation 5000 ft, and they area really full bloom right now. I shoot on Manual with auto ISO, and was also shocked that the ISO drifted that high. Certainly could have dropped the shutter speed, since I was on a tripod. I do find that noise is less of an issue when I keep the exposure way on the right, and the D5 really does handle higher ISO well.

The dark, moody lighting drew me in to view the image’s detail more closely. A little more room all around might add to the composition but, of course, I don’t know what unwanted elements would then be included in the scene. Do like all the stages of bloom shown and the sharpness of focus where needed.

Gorgeous colouring and an eye-catching full frame composition. I like the way the flowers seem to burst from the slightly off-centre hollow - very nicely composed.

A beautiful image, Cheryl. I love how the light works with the spent flowers on the right, making them as or more beautiful than the open ones. One small thing that I think would make this fine image even better is to clean up some brighter spots, mostly on the right side of the frame. I did a quick modification to illustrate.

@Patricia_Brundage, @Ian_Wolfenden, @Bill_Fach, @Dennis_Plank. Thanks for the kind words and for the insights. Thanks Dennis for taking the time to make the changes. Thanks Patricia for your comments on framing. It really does help me to see with more discerning eye. It is amazing what even subtle changes can make.

Beautiful light well exploited. I like the composition where the foreground flower draws the eyes into other past-prime flowers and then to the one in the back which is also in focus. I like the modifications made by Dennis. It definitely makes it better.

Ravi, thanks for the kind words. Totaly agree that Dennis’s changes made a big improvement. Love the insights that you get from this site.