Cactus blossoms in the Arizona Desert

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon EOS-R, manually focused Tamron 90mm macro (F017 version), ISO 400, 1/50 @ f/8. Shot in RAW processed in PSP 2019, with various plug-ins (Perfectly Clear, Nik Color EFEX, Topaz deNoise AI), other editing, saved as a jpeg. This image is 20% of the final 30mb full-size jpeg.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@hikingbob_co

1 Like

Gorgeous colors and a very nice composition, Bob. I like the bud in the lower foreground, but wish it were in focus. Maybe a second shot with it focus and a two-image stack to keep the background soft.

1 Like

Bob: I love cactus flowers and the contrast between the delicate looking flowers and the foreboding thorns. A touch more DOF to get the bud would be nice but not at the expense of bringing significant detail to the BG which is excellent as is. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like

Beautiful colouring, Bob - the flowers standing out nicely against a very complementary bg, I like your choice of dof, with the more distant petals fading into the mid-distance. Lovely image !!

1 Like

I like the colors too, Bob, very complimentary. I visited Tucson a few years ago in April and loved all the blooming desert flowers at the time. Nice blurred background with a few light pastels showing is very good. The needles surrounding the main blooms really add some interest and hints at the environment also. I believe DOF is a personal choice and you’ve chosen to focus on the two top blooms, relegating others to a supporting cast. That being said, a little more DOF up top would be welcome if the BG wasn’t sacrificed. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Beautiful flowers and colors in this image. Your dof choice works for me. Thanks for posting this special subject.

1 Like