Spring Cactus

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How much to crop? More background or less. This flower measured 9 inches across. Couldn’t get it into any perspective.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7D ll. Tamron 18-270, 50mm, ISO 100, F 11, 1/160 sec.
LR CC
All comments accepted

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Charlie: I love cactus flowers and how their delicacy contrasts with the fierceness of the rest of the plant. You also handled the tough light really well. This crop works for me but I do think I would make the partial bud in the URC go away. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

Charlie,

Great job handling this one given the hot direct light. The colors of the cactus bloom are just wonderful, as are the details and placement in that harsh environment (desert environ)

I could see cropping just a little off the top and I agree with Bill on removing that bud in the UR.

Otherwise you handled this quite beautifully. An impressive capture of this cactus bloom.

Lon

Thanks. Didn’t even notice the bud till it was mentioned. Need to do a better job of checking the perimeters.

Nicely done, Charlie. Great colour in very strong light and a neat placement of the flower just so much off centre. I go with the exclusion of the single bud, but otherwise well composed.

Charlie, cacti blooms are special and often hard to shoot because so many of them open and close their flowers every day. The colors here really pop, thanks to the bright sunshine. The bud removal is a good idea.

Thanks. I erased the bud.