Chords

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On my recent trip to Costa Rica, the dining and observation deck was level with the leafy layer of several palm trees and I couldn’t resist photographing some of the patterns. This one, converted to B&W reminded me of piano or harp strings or perhaps a stairwell? Who knows?

Specific Feedback

I didn’t try to do a lot of cleanup on the fronds-does it matter?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 507 mm, monopod, f/20, 1/400, iso 8000. Processed in LR & PS CC with preprocessing in DxO PureRaw 4. Slight crop from the top to get rid of a bit of ugliness in the upper left corner. Conversion to B&W using the pixel layer output from a light’s 2 luminosity mask. A curves adjustment and a bit of playing in LR with highlights and shadows.

1 Like

Excellent image Dennis with a strong visual design. The rim lighting on the edges of the palm leaf looks fantastic. It looks like high tension wires on a modern bridge. The lines work so well here with the top diagonal lines being opposed by the bottom lines and all connected by a curved wire. Nice!

I don’t mind the little spots throughout the image.