Christmas Bougainvillea

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This year’s Christmas flower – well, until maybe tomorrow, when the Amaryllis blooms. We all celebrated Christmas Day at our younger son-in-law’s parents house on the coast, with a wonderful frost-free climate. I usually spend some time with their gorgeous plantings but didn’t take the time this year – this was just a complete grab shot from the deck while I was preoccupied with snacks and Champagne. But I couldn’t resist the Christmas colors.

With it, I extend a belated Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone! (Just now coming up for air after a wonderful whirlwind of celebrations!)

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 2.58.51 PM

Just an adjusted raw file, with a little crop.

1 Like

Great choice for a Christmas greeting, Diane.

That could have been in my backyard. Lovely. Did you do any noise reduction?

Diane: We have one of these pretty much still in full flower so I’m going to have to check it out in the next few days. Grab shot or no, this is still seasonally pleasing and well done. Bravo. >=))>

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Barbara_Djordjevic and @Bill_Fach! Barbara, I used the new NR in LR, although I was surprised how little noise there was – it was only apparent in the shadows. The LR NR has done a good job every time I’ve tried it, but I go to PS with about 95% of my images so I use Topaz there, for its flexibility. I’d love to see some shots of this lovely stuff from you and Bill. Our climate, only about 20 miles inland but in a little valley in the hills, is too cold in winter for almost everything I would love to be able to grow.

Diane, do you find LR NR slow? I have tried it and it seemed it wanted a very, very long time to process. I may be retired with time on my hands, but I don’d want to spend it that wayLOL.

It’s processor intensive and depends hugely on the computer. I never thought it took very long but just timed it – on a 45MP file. It estimated 55 sec and took 51. But that’s with a MacBook Pro M1 Pro with a solid state hard drive (which would only speed up the file reading and writing part). It was a fast computer when I got it 2 years ago. Now there have been two significantly faster models.