Clamshell Basalt

I thought I would upload this other picture taken at Clamshell cove on Staffa, because, well it’s just plain weird. I love the sense of geological forces that it provides and as previously mentioned it is fascinating that solid rock can appear so fluid. Hope you like it. It is very strange that the basalt columns diverge into two different directions where they dip into the sea.

Fuji GFX 50S 100-200 zoom, Focus Stacked.

1 Like

Ian, this rock is fascinating. I love this composition with all of its curving triangles. I prefer this version to your previous, where I found the bright, out of focus grass to be distracting. For me, this cleans everything up nicely and showcases the geology.

This must be one fascinating place to visit. It looks like a landscape photographers dream location. i like that you included some of the water in this post, to give us a different angle of view in this image. I just love the moss and lichen on the curved basalt, it makes this more than an almost monotone image. I agree with @Craig_Moreau that the moss in the LRC works a bit better as a framing element than it did in the prior post. I like this image as presented, wouldn’t change a thing about it.

In terms of the diverging basalt, I assume it has to be that it flowed at two different points in time, and deposited in two layers ?

Very interesting rock form. I like the motion the shape of the rock conveys Ian. The small bit of moss also adds additional interest. Has the GFX replaced your 67ii?

It will probably end up being a replacement but I was out yesterday with it in the snow and very much enjoyed the filmic process in quite epic conditions. Doubtless a few scans will appear in due course. Film alas is getting more costly.

Ian

@Ian_Cameron this is a beautiful shot of what seems to be an amazing place to be taking pictures at.

i like the cool atmosphere and your processing is spot on. in regards to the comp i’m not sure if i need the grassy greens in the LRC and the water in the bottom. in a way, including both helps to create an overall balance. on the other hand my eyes keep going there instead of sticking with the crazy basalt formations. have you played around with an even tighter crop?

cheers,
joerg