Clark Grebe Nest with added images

My first bird post in almost 5 years. Good to be back with you guys. This shot was taken at Lake Hodges in Southern California 7 years ago where the grebes like to nest. We actually watched this chick come out of it’s shell and within less than an hour mom had it in the water. Astounding. This is a huge crop even though it was shot at 550mm. We were a long way off. With COVID-19 I’m going back through old images that I had long forgotten about and bringing back old memories.
I promise not to be a stranger anymore. I’m way more into landscape photography now but I am getting the itch to shoot birds again. Who knows.
Thanks for taking a look and as always, I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D4, 1/6400 @f/7.1, 550mm, ISO 1000, 200-400 mm lens with 1.4 converter

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Single shot

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Such a sweet shot! Minor suggestion would be to give a little more room around them so the chick isn’t so close to the edge. Great detail with the water droplets against a nice background. I’ve not seen Grebe chicks in the nest so it’s really fun to see this. Thanks for sharing!

David, this is a great shot, and a nice story to go with it. I haven’t ever seen a Grebe baby before (not sure if I have seen an adult either), so this is a real treat. I do hope you share more of your bird shots.

Extremely well done. Even as a huge crop, the image quality stands. I go to Lake Hodges from time to time and I don’t think there is opportunity as good as this anymore in recent memory. Looking forward to seeing more birds!!

Hi David:

Great to see you back! A lovely frame with a great story. I like everything about it except that it feels very tight in the frame. I wrote an article on including the environment, context matters so know that I’m on a path pushing that concept. While I don’t know what else was present in the frame, I just imagine a wider crop would still hold the same interest and show more of what was going on.
Again, great to see you here again. Looking forward to more of your work!

Well done for such a large crop. It stands up quite well. There’s minor image quality degradation but that is not a problem with the story and the subject. Yes it is a little tightly cropped. I could see a little more room on the left side. But overall a very nice job

Thanks for your suggestions @Shirley_Freeman, @David_Schoen, @Adhika_Lie, @Keith_Bauer, @Terri_Barnett. I agree about the frame being tight. There are a lot of branches and twigs in the scene particularly the huge branch that is jutting out the left side of the frame. I am at work but when I get home I will take a closer look at this and see if there is more room all around without hurting the composition. I’ll also post a couple more images here so you can see more of the environment that Keith is alluding to. I won’t create another post but I’ll just add to this one for any of you that want to see more of the story. Thanks again and it really is great to be back.

1 Like

I’ve added a couple of images that show the environment as I think I cropped this a little too tight as most have said. There is a shot of the baby just after it’s born and a shot of mom sitting on the nest before the baby was born with more environment in it.

Fine image of the grebe in its nesting habitat. It’s a little tight all around, but I that doesn’t detract too much from this image. I really like the light and the overall color scheme in the image and the water droplets on the grebe adds a lot. Seeing the chick along with the parent is awesome. Processing is top notch too and the crop really doesn’t show very much.

The last two images tell a very nice story, especially the one with the grebe tending to its nest.

Superb image quality, especially for something you describe as a huge crop, David. Your depth of field is perfect taking in everything but that one foreground stick. the accompanying images are great as well. I don’t think this is too tight, or if so, just marginally. If you loosen it up much, you’re going to lose the chick.

What an amazing opportunity and photo. I’m blown away by the story. I tend to agree with Dennis. The tight comp. doesn’t bother me. It really helps the chick. If anything, I’d add a little space on the right. IQ held up well, although I think the image could handle a bit more sharpening. See what you think below.

Also, as a previous D3s, and now D850, shooter, the words huge crop just don’t mean the same thing!

Hi,

Awesome image. A little extra on the right could help the comp slightly. Lyle’s extra sharpening looks like a good edit to try. Well done…Jim

Thanks Lyle. This got sharpened 7 or 8 years ago in LR only and not selectively so it was pretty rudimentary. Your sharpening really pops this. Thanks so much for this and your comment as well.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the comment Jim. I agree that Lyles sharpening helped this image alot.

I’ve missed these magnificent grebe images David, great work, and wonderful to see you’re back!

Best,

Chuck

Hello, David, this is so sweet. Love all images and the story as well. Good to see you back here. I am not active on a daily basis, but will look out for your shots :slight_smile: ! Actually the first shot is my favourite despite the tight crop. Cheers, Hans

Thanks for your input @Chuck_Gangas and @Hans_Overduin. Great to be back. Now I just wish I could get out and shoot. Things are loosening up a little bit around here so I’m looking forward to getting out and shooting birds once again!