Clavaria fragilis

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

aka white worm coral - an odd little fungus I found growing at the base of an immense dead tree. There were tons of these all over the ground as well. As much as I photograph fungi, this is a first for me. They are like pale Dead Man’s Fingers.

Used a 6mm extension tube with my 35-100mm and got in nice and close. Just look at that moss!

You may also notice that there is a lot of distortion away from the center of the lens elements - a product of using extension tubes - your area of focus is not only narrow from front to back, but from edge to edge. With the minimal kit I brought to NH the only way I could do anything approaching macro was with the extension tubes because they are smaller and easier to bring with.

Specific Feedback

Does the odd OOF area bother you overly or can you just chalk it up to another groovy fungi photo?

Technical Details

Handheld w/my hand directly on the ground - 6mm extension tube

Lr for a slight bump in exposure, denoise AI, sharpening, texture & clarity. A bit of a vignette and some masking to enhance the weirdness.

Oooh, those are cool! And sort of creepy. I think the OOF edges adds to the surreal look of them. :+1:

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley - they are a tiny bit creepy, aren’t they? I’ve seen similar mushrooms before, but not these so it was cool. Glad the odd lens look works for you. I like it for this photo. With others it isn’t so much of an asset.

1 Like

When I first saw this I thought I was looking a some birches in dense shrubs but then I looked closer and saw what it actually was and I think that this is really neat! The distortion around the edges looks almost circular and adds to the mosses in framing the fungi, plus, I don’t know if these are poisonous or not, but the distortion around them makes me feel like I’m hallucinating and that creates a really cool and interesting story. :slight_smile:

Edit: I just looked this fungus up and I guess it’s actually edible so that kind of destroys my little narrative. Oh well, it was still fun.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely - it is a bit trippy, isn’t it? I didn’t check specifically for edibility, but most mushrooms are pretty harmless even if they aren’t tasty.