Clearing Storm

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

What I like about this image is the sense that we’re part of something greater out there than what we see - Romanticism. I’m not sure about those small black rocks in the middle left. Are they a distraction? I feel that they are a welcome distraction at this point. I like the sense of going from dark around the sides to light in the middle.

Creative direction

I’m after a Romantic style. Yes, I want to convey a spiritual message.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome but mostly in the realm of aestheticism and emotion.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11

No vignetting was applied to this image. The dark edges are natural due to approaching clouds behind me.

Description

I captured this image at the end of a long day of driving. The clouds came and went the entire evening. This is a dry lake that isn’t dry this year. The rain started to come down harder and I had to scramble uphill to get back to the vehicle because I was in t-shirt and shorts.

1 Like

Igor
I like the sense of infinity thus the spiritual nature you were after. I do not find the rocks distracting.

This is a very soothing image Igor. I love the circle of clouds opening up to the rich blue sky. The small black rocks are not a distraction. I find the muted reflection adds to the peacefulness and sense of calm.

Igor,It’s the emptiness that speaks to me. A wonder in this busy world.Just a nice image !

1 Like

Loving it, Igor. At first glance, I wondered how this would feel with a more panoramic aspect ratio. But I think the image told you what it needed to be, especially the light and the clouds. I like that in this even though the detail is there, it doesn’t matter that much. What matters is the sense of space, of natural space. With the sky and the clouds reflecting in the water covering the ground, it is telling me in a very gentle way that everything is connected, and looking at it for some time I feel connected as well. Great mood and this is one of the few images I don’t ask to see a monochrome version of. :wink:
P.S.: Don’t worry about the small black rocks. They are part of this scene and once you’d start editing these out, you’ll find more and before you know it, you’ll change the mood of this great photograph, which you don’t want to do, me thinks.

I agree with your thought process.

1 Like

Igor,

Beautiful imagery. I do get a grand sense of vastness and yes, being but a small piece of something much greater. But you know me, my emotional reaction are stopping me short of Romanticism… :upside_down_face: :wink: But that’s just me.

There is a grand sense of depth as well. I think due to the natural vignette that the in-close clouds, and their dark reflection, are providing. It’s like those darker clouds in the corners are right on top of you, and the rest to clouds go deeper and deeper, thus providing an almost 3-D depth.

At first I my eye was drawn to the shadowed cliff on the left, but then immediately relieved by the darker hill on the right - balancing left and right. Same goes for the rocks - I agree with Holger - they belong - plus they are repeated on a smaller scale throughout.

Beautifully seen, captured and rendered. No suggestions or nits from me!

Lon