Climbing Leopard, Serengeti, Tanzania

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We noticed a long row of cars right next to a tree about 80 yards from us, but there was no way to get closer with all the cars blocking the road. Using my binoculars I discovered a leopard sitting on the distant tree and I tried to get some shots with my 150-600mm lens. Only a few moments later the leopard jumped downfrom the tree and slowly walked right towards our car and before I was able to switch the lens the animal decided to climb a tree only a few yards from our car.
Being unable to switch lenses I had to shoot the scene at 150mm which forced me to make a very quick decision about the composition. Even in portrait orientation it would have been impossible to get a shot of the whole animal, so I decided to show more of the environment and have only part of the animal in the frame to tell the story. Everything happened so quickly that there was no time to think but just react to the unfolding action.

Technical Details

Sony A7rII
Sigma 150-600mm @ 150mm
1/500s @ f/8
ISO 640

1 Like

Holger, this is a beautiful cat, and he is so powerful looking. I love the detail you captured in the spots and fur and tree. The BG tree is a nice touch also. As you know, it would be much better if the leopard was facing us, had a head turn over the shoulder, or was back just a bit further in the frame, but what can you do. This is definitely a great lifetime adventure and had to be really exciting being so close to this guy.