Cloudless Sulphur butterfly

I find these butterflies tough to shoot because they rarely stay still. This one posed for me this past week.

Canon 7D2, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4x TC III
ISO 400, f18, 1/500s

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

allensparks.wildlife

3 Likes

Allen, I agree, these guys are tough to get a photo of, and you captured a very nice one. The details are sharp, a nice flower for a perch, and lovely smooth BG to set it all off. Looks like the lighting was a bit harsh, but hey, you got to capture one of these when they decide to stay still for you. Great shot.

Wow Allen. Beautiful photo and very nicely done.

Hey, Allen. I agree with Shirley in nearly every respect. You handled the bright sun very well, though. You’re right; this is another challenging butterfly to photograph, but you pulled it off nicely.

Hi Allen,

Most of these pierids rarely sit still for you. I have done shots similar to this one and I like this type of comp. The colors are nice and you fought off the light quite well to a nicely balanced exposure. Well done…Jim

A fine catch, Allen. The details in the bf show well and the mix of colors throughout coordinate very well. The subtle mix of greenish and yellowish tones in the wings looks really good in the large version.

Allen: I really hear you regarding trying to get a decent shot of these hyperactive little guys. I can count on one hand the good sulfur shots I have. This is really good because of the perch as well. Most excellent.>=))>