Cold and Bare

We had unusually low snow levels last week, even getting snow down in the valley. The hills around us still have some accumulations and the clouds have been quite atmospheric. I don’t usually look for the bigger landscape shots, but this scene was so eye-catching (and unusual for here), I couldn’t resist.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 143mm, f/8, 1/400s, ISO 100.

3 Likes

Bonnie, this is a really good image. Do not stop capturing bigger landscapes! The larger geometrical shapes, the structure made up of the ridge lines, the texture given by the trees, the light on the clouds and the darker foreground changing to lighter tones and finally fading out into white at the background all adds to the impact that this image have.

Simply spectacular, don’t change a thing about it. I would love to see this printed large…

This must be the result of all those wildfires.

So glad you took this, the pattern of the trees and the shapes of the mountain make a very compelling and interesting image.
I like that you keep it in colour so those subtle brown pass thru. Wouldn’t change a thing, very beautiful.

Arresting and unusual. Well seen!

This is a striking landscape for two reasons, Bonnie. First of all, the scene is nicely composed and the exposure is just right, capturing the dramatic sunlit clouds without losing the information in the highlights. Its a dramatic and pleasing scene in that regard. The second reason it is striking though is because of the completely fire scavenged trees with few limbs and no color in what appears to be evergreens (probably spruce). Striking but not quite so pleasing when you think of the tremendous destruction and the impacts to wildlife.

Thank you, @Ola_Jovall , @Ed_McGuirk , @Igor_Doncov , @João_Ferrão , @Kris_Smith , and @Gary_Minish for your appreciations. Igor, yes, this is the result of the Carr Fire in 2018. João, I’m glad you noticed the subtle browns; I tried it in b&w because it’s quite graphic, but it liked the color version better.

1 Like

Bonnie, it’s always a treat to get a good photograph close to home. This is very nicely graphic as it tells a dramatic story, with the dark ridge lines fading into the clouds and acres of burnt trees. I’m not sure what your climate is like, but in Yellowstone’s cold and dry climate, many of the burn areas from 1988 still only have 10 -15 foot tall evergreens.

Beautifully striking with a very forlorn mood. A most enjoyable image!

1 Like

Outstanding, Bonnie. You’ve managed to do with a grand landscape what you more typically do with intimate landscapes, namely accentuate texture, line and contrast, in this case, with spectacular (and grand) results.

1 Like

Bonnie, this is really a nice capture. I love the soft cloud cover with the texture of the trees. the composition is really nice leading your eye up the mountain. Beautiful work.

1 Like