Cold Mountain

Shot as a panorama and edited into 2x3 aspect ratio. During processing I tried to express how cold it was and what a spectacular view I had. Any feedback is welcome.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Todd, the view is great. The ice in the foreground, the snowy mountains, the clouds and the bare branches say cold, winter nicely. It does look a bit over processed to me, with the sky going purple and the heavy vignette. Keeping the snow white on that left mountain, or at least brightening it to better fit with the bright peaks in the center would look more natural. (The caveat, is do you want it to look natural?)

Todd, I think you have captured this iconic place in a great condition. I was just there last weekend on my way home and it was very dull. I agree with Mark about the look, contrast is a little heavy for my taste. Leveling this image will also go a long way to make it better.

Todd,
I like the look you went for, it’s important to express your artistic view on a scene. If this was photo journalism, i would have diff things to say, but it isn’t and you have full creative license on it.
My only nit is that it doesn’t look level, it may have been level on the tripod…but here it doesn’t look like it…and you know what they say about perception…

This scene really has a lot of potential. The comp is great and I like the bowl effect in the Fg created by the panorama. Hope you don’t mind, I made

some changes to the image. Personally, I like a lot of blue in my winter scenes for that Velvia look, but I took a little blue out to see what others think. I also leveled the horizon and warped it because there was still a little distortion in the middle. Also brightened it a bit.
After posting, I realized there’s still a little distortion along the middle of the horizon but not much.

A very nice winter scene, Michael! The ice is a very important part of the scene. The second version is very definitely my favorite as it is more natural and believable. That’s my preference because When I view landscapes I tend to envision myself being there and experiencing the scene vicariously through another’s eyes. If it’s not believable, even though it is artistically pretty, I lose that sense of presence.

1 Like

Todd: Marvelous scene and a fine presentation. My first impression was that the vignette seemed a bit heavy but its growing on me. I also like what Michael did with it. My only significant nit is the tilted horizon which used to be one of my worst flaws so I’m attuned to it. Still, makes me shiver viewing this.>=))>

The heavy blue tints really convey cold, Todd, though in the foreground, they feel a touch overdone for my taste. The sharpness of the image also does a great job of conveying a sense of cold as do the shapes of the clouds. A beautiful image.

Thanks All for the comments and input, I have now straighten the horizon! Also, I did take Michaels other advice and removed just a bit of blue and Marks advise about lightening up the mountain on the left.

Great scene; I especially like the ice details in that foreground. Sounds like you’ve made some nice adjustments to make it even better!