Cold Flowing Water

I am fascinated by the unexpected details revealed by a short shutter setting. This is one of a series of photos taken of the infinity edge waterfall in my garden. It was taken on a windy, 15 °F day. What appears and disappears in a moment. Is only seen as random splashing, but the camera reveals ropes and waves and sheets.

(EDIT: Moved Landscape Critique by Lon)

1 Like

Hi Gary,

Welcome to NPN! Glad to have you here! This sometimes comes up with new members, but your post here is for general discussions, not necessarily image review/critique. If you would like comments and feedback on your image it’s best to post in the “Landscape Critique” gallery, or Landscape Showcase if you wish to simply share and aren’t looking for feedback.

You can edit and change the category or a moderator can move it for you.

To your image, since I’m assuming you’re looking for comments/feedback? Great detail in the water and ice. I too find details in water amazing and fascinating; and that holds true from fast shutter speeds freezing action, to very long silky-smooth renditions of moving water.

I especially like the frozen motion of the long stream left of center. Very cool. Great job with exposure and processing looks good in terms of colors, contrast, etc.

My only suggestion might be to tighten up the composition. IMHO, the strength and impact of the image is mostly around the center of the frame and you could potentially crop away some of the top. There looks to be quite a bit of potential for other subjects here, which I’m guessing you may have explored.

Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask any questions if you need help navigating or posting images for critique.

Lon

Lon:
Thank you for the welcome, and for your astute comments. Yes, I neglected to crop this image. I am afraid I was so enamored water that I mistakenly did not see anything else. I have a tendency to do that. Have to work on that. I understand the misplacement but am not sure how to move it. I would appreciate your help. Thanks again. Looking forward to continuing my endless journey of improvement with members of this sight.

No worries Gary. Since I’m assuming you would like comments/critiques, I’m moving this to the Landscape Critique gallery. You should be able to do this simply by editing and changing the category (at least I think you can…) But I’ll go ahead and move.

And once you’re there, and for future posts, be sure and ask or indicate why feedback, if any, you’re looking for.

Thanks for sharing,

Lon

Welcome to NPN Gary. I agree with you that the high shutter speeds have produced some neat looking effects in the water. Some of the water looks like spirals, which I know can’t be the case. The typical approach to waterfalls is long exposures fro the cotton candy look, but this is a different and creative take on falling water.

Assuming you are looking for critique, my comments would be similar to @Lon_Overacker
The comment to crop would result in “Less is More” with a greater emphasis on the most interesting part of the image. Bright things in the background or along edges can also pull attention away the main subject. You have some of that going on in the upper right corner (URC). So I have done a rework to illustrate these comments, cropping from the top, and burning, or darkening the URC. I also added some extra luminosity and contrast in the ice to make it pop a bit more.

Wait, what?..I think flowing water is full of spirals

I said “looks like” spirals. Standing water draining in a sink has spiral motion due to the coriolis effect. But free falling water from this height, well gravity is going to pull the water straight down. Only if some other force is applied laterally would the falling water spiral. If the fountain here was rotating that might cause it. I think what is perceived here as spirals are water drops that have hit the ice and bounced in various directions and angles.