Winter triptych

f/14, 1/8 sec, 43 mm, ISO 100.

Ice, water and foam. A slightly longer exposure (1/8 second); maybe a little longer would have been better, but am not sure.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

Hi Gaurav, this is a very interesting shot of water in different forms. The ice is beautiful, so clear and sparkly. The spray looks like spun cotton fibers, so they both contribute to this scene of contrasts. The flowing water really doesn’t add much to the overall composition so I think the leading actors in this shot are the ice and spray. Thanks for sharing!

Gaurav,

I really like this! The title of “triptych” applies perfectly - It’s a trio of water features and I think it all flows together well - AND tells a great nature story.

I think the ss for the turbulent water is just right too. All the contrasts just feed one another. The smooth glass like flow in to the turbulence and then that flow and turbulence creating the details and sparkly nature of the ice.

Beautifully seen and captured.

Lon

Very interesting and graphic composition…not necessarily dynamic in the lines, but that is not a criticism. Very cool rectangles working here with the water in all its forms. Love this!

Thank you for the feedback, everyone.

@Jim_McGovern, I very much agree with you that it’s not a dynamic photo. I think that composing it (especially the angle and the shutter speed) to make it more dynamic would make it a very different photo, and perhaps a better one. It’s something to keep in mind for the next time, thank you.

@Jim_Lockhart, I wasn’t sure how much to enhance the slightly angled flow lines in the water, which would make that aspect of the photo a bit more important and interesting. Thank you for the comment.

@Lon_Overacker, I very much appreciate your feedback!

Congratulations, you have come up with both a wonderfully creative image, and title for it. I think the shutter speed is great for both flows of water, but especially the water on the right. The dynamic motion of that water enhances the abstract quality of this image. The ice formation in the LLC reminds me of a flower.

My only suggestion might be to crop a small slice off the top, but that is a matter of personal preference. Never the less, this is a a very interesting image as presented, nice job of seeing this.

@Ed_McGuirk, I played around with trimming the top of the photo, and I believe that it improves it quite a bit. Thank you for the suggestion.