Winter's Chill

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

On a very cold morning this past December I decided to get out and photograph some winter landscapes not far from home. I ended up on a bridge overlooking the Deschutes River when I noticed a few isolated rocks which looked to me like miniature islands of ice. I took several photos, but could not decide which one I liked the best-so I put together this triptych of three of them. I shot all of these with a slower shutter speed to blur the water as it swirled around the rocks, thus creating a sense of motion .
I would like any general advice on the processing of these images, and if this is an effective use of the triptych model.

Technical Details

The two photos at the ends were shot at f/8.0, 2 sec and ISO 100, while the middle photo was at f/11, 2.5 sec and ISO 200. All of these images were processed in Lightroom, and the triptych was created using the Lightroom print module.

Hi Ted,
that was a really productive morning. You have captured three beautiful frosty scenes. I love the contrast between the smooth water and the crisp ice in every single shot.

It seems to me, that the first and the third image has a slight magenta cast. And because the ice is fairly neutral in the middle image, it doesn’t quite fit in with the series. I would try to correct the white balance to make the images match better.

My favorite image is the third one. I really love that scene. The crisp ice is nicely framed by the smooth water. And the orange/brown area at the top introduces some nice color contrast (especially if you cool down the image slightly).

But I’m afraid I can’t suggest something regarding the triptych model in general. I never used it.

All three scenes separately are great. I could spend hours shooting stuff like that.

1 Like

Thank you Jens for taking the time to provide this feedback. I thought I would try the triptych since I had seen some others do it and I found it an interesting look. I tried playing around with the white balance to get all three of these images to have the same look, but ended up going with what you have seen here. I do like the one image you picked out as your favorite. Maybe I should have settled on that one alone and gone with it.