Frozen Creatures

Description:
This image was taken in 2019 in Columbia River Gorge. I’ve hiked to this waterfall several times, but this was my first winter visit. The waterfall was beautiful, but the ice formations from its spray were fascinating to me. It was like living art.

Specific Feedback Requested:
Suggestions on what could be approved upon.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:
Nikon D750
Nikon 24-120mm f/4 Lens
ISO 100
120mm
f/11
0.4 sec.
This is not a composite.

Instagram username : cbakephoto

1 Like

Chris, I too thoroughly enjoy the ice patterns created by falling water. This is a fine example with lots of interesting twists, textures and bends in the ice. Clearly there was strong wind from the left recently.

1 Like

Hello Mark,

I greatly appreciate your feedback. You are correct about the wind, although in this case, I think most of the patterns were created by the force of the falls blowing the air outwards.

I wish you a good week ahead!

Sincerely,
Chris

Fascinating structures here – nicely done! I love the colors. A couple of areas on the left may be a bit hot on the highlights, but not a huge deal.

Thank you, Diane! I did a little dodging and burning on the image, but I’m still not an expert at it. I see what you mean about the highlights on the left…they are a bit hot. Thanks again for the feedback!

From your “not an expert” comment (and with the caveat that none of us has no more to learn) , I’ll just point out that hot highlights and blocked shadows are only dealt with in raw adjustments. Once opened in PS, any blocked black or blown white tonalities are set in concrete. Contrast can be increased in PS but not successfully decreased.

Wish I knew everyone’s level of expertise when I comment on an image, but I hope the comments are taken as aimed at the general audience. I wasn’t born knowing anything at all and have only managed a little bit of processing knowledge. (Those who know me would claim that’s about all I have learned…)

1 Like

For sure, Diane…there’s always something more to learn. Practice can only make one better, hopefully. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Much apprecaited.