Frozen Waterfall

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is it maybe too blue and saturated? What about contrast?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any :slight_smile:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D3, 70-200 f4
f8, iso100, 90mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig @gregorjericphoto

I think your color is a matter of personal choice. I did add a curves layer to increase contrast and another to lighten the shadows. I reduced the blue and cyan saturation on one image and went all the way with a black and white. Up to you what you like better.

Don

I like the original the best and the black and white second best. I there is too much contrast in the third image and I like the soft feel of the original. These shapes remind me of the time I spent at the Monterey Bay aquarium where they had the jellyfish with the really long tentacles. Beautiful image.

Thanks @Don_Jacobson and @David_Haynes for your help!

I edited it again this morning with fresh eyes. I think it had way too much cyan…

Gregor, this is a really neat abstract. I love the texture of those icicles. I also like that there is an interesting secondary pattern of ice at the top, especially in the URC. I think the WB and colors in your rework are much better than the original post, which was definitely to cyan

While I like this as presented, I would also suggest a crop to get a second image. I think this tighter crop puts more emphasis on the main ice fomration.

I always come back to my images several times for a fresh look. I really like your rework. It has better contrast and colors. It’s a beautiful detail of this ice with a good variety of shapes and lines!

hi @Gregor_Jeric, very nice shot. I love blue tones and mood. thanks for sharing.

The Cyan tint is a matter of preference in this case imho, while maybe not totally neutral to the scene, it didn’t not work. The original might be a tad flat, but that again imparts a slightly different feel paired with the cyan hue than the later edit. I like them both, but give a very different feel. I wonder what the original would look like with maybe just a 10-20pt rise in the Light slider on LR Tone Curve would look like to broaden the contrast a bit.

Thanks to everyone again for your comments.

@Ed_McGuirk I like your crop, its better balanced and emphasizes the main subject like you said. It simplifies the scene also. Thanks for suggesting that.

I also added some contrast and darkened it a bit through a midtones mask.

Gregor,
This is a wonderful intimate landscape and the textures of the icicles is gorgeous. You received some great suggestions and I think your repost nailed it perfectly IMO. Where I live we did not receive any ice this year during our winter months so I am particularly enjoying this.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe for your feedback. It was a warm winter in Slovenia also, but this spot is so well hidden from the sun deep in a canyon. And I’m so thankful its also accessible. But it was less ice then usual.